There is a book called "Get Out of That Pit"out by Beth Moore regarding Pits and the ways we can fall into them. I bought the book but lent it to a friend who really seemed to need it at the time.
I was in my own pit many years ago, but I did not see it as a pit so much. I thought I was on top of the world and in control. Way wrong. And now I see how 1 Peter 4:1-4 rings so true to those I was in the pit with. It took for me a devastating blow to pride, ego, self worth, and finding out what and who I was all about. I have no desires of the things that put me in that Pit; those things are replaced with Anxiousness to do the will of God.
If you get a chance, grab the book...it may just make you realize who, how and why you ended up in your pit, whatever it might or may have been.
((hugs until next time))