Oprah's quote "Run your own race - any energy towards someone else takes away from you." I am really questioning this because she helps so many others. In my opinion (what ever it is worth) when I was running my "own race" in my career I missed sooooo many opportunities to reach out to others. With this comment from her, it makes me wonder are her opportunities for her reward? I cannot or am not the judge on that, but from my own experience, it is such a "selfish NOT SELFLESS" statement.
There are so many opportunities in life that are here to help others, encourage others, let others know that they matter. Hebrews 10:24, "Let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works." Better yet, one of my favorite is Philippians 2:3,4, "Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind let each of you regard one another as more important than himself; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interest of others." THAT IS SOME POWERFUL STUFF!! Even for those who are not Christians, they should live by these words. But for those of us who are, our attitudes should be the kind that was shown by Jesus AND he definitely used MOST ALL OF HIS ENERGY on others right up til his death on the Cross.
Until now I never thought of life as a race. But the race I want to be in is the one that God has set before me..for His purpose. If it is to be a race of endurance, let my "energy drink" be that from God and used to help others, encourage others, love and pick up my fellow brother or sister when they stumble. For I know, from my past...that is was someone who slowed down from "their race" and used their "energy" to help set my feet back on the right path. So my tennis shoes on foot...I am ready but not for My Purpose or Will, but His!!! (( hugs ))