Sunday, July 29, 2012

Soldier's Angel

A while back I adopted a Soldier.  You ask, "what does that mean?"  Well I am not even sure why I was lead so strongly to do so.  I can only explain that when the advertisement came across the local news and was directing people to the "Know More" section of KLTV 7 's website. I was compelled to do so.  At first as clicked on the link, I was curious.  Then after reading more on the website the urge to do so became stronger and stronger. 

Now I must admit, sometimes when I am compelled to do things, I put up a little fight of resistance.  And it is usually those times when I am in complete darkness as to why I do these things, that I look back and see God's fingerprints all over the situation.  This time, my hesitancy was because I am single and I was fearful of the wrong impression of writing a soldier might look like because I normally work with encouraging women.

So, I began praying about it and  I asked God to lead me and if this was His Will, to assign me to the right soldier that He needed to use me for.  After prayer for a couple of days, I then made the decision to click the button to adopt a soldier.  It was soon after that I received my adoptee soldier's name and address to begin correspondence with him.  After this had all taken place I found another link that was for just adopting women soldiers who were serving in Iraq.  And to be honest I was asking "Lord, you know that I work much better with women, why did I not see this first."  AND then remembering, I prayed for God to give me the soldier He needed to use me to work through my prayer was not, "God, give me a woman soldier..."

As I began my first letter, it was difficult.  To write to someone you did not know anything about other than they were serving our country. It was a soldier who had made the list who's name was not being called out when mail arrived at the camps for mail call.  So I was the one to change that...I was his assigned soldiers' angel.  So I began the letter simply enough explaining that with much prayer, I was chosen to have the privilege of corresponding with him, even if his choice was to be a silent soldier (one who does not write back), it was ok, because I believed that God was involved in the decision making and I am His obedient child.

So you too might think about being a Soldiers' Angel.  God may have someone in store for you, either man or woman.  God uses us in many, many ways, and I guess at this time...He is branching me out to step out of my box for a purpose in this soldier's life.  

We never know as to why the calling, we just are called and say "Yes, Lord" and in my case it was "Yes Lord" and a click of the mouse.  (( hugs until next time))