Saturday, March 5, 2011

Christians Aren't Perfect

Christians Aren’t Perfect From time to time I catch something either I or another do and realize the possible impact from those action to others who might have been watching. Ok, I am not talking about a “big thing” just something as simple as a reaction/or action while pumping $4.00 gas. It was just the other day that I stood at the car begrudgingly pumping gas. There were so many people at the pumps that all the usage made the pumps rather slow in filling up the tank. It gave me time to just “people watch.” So I set the pump to continue filling and I hop back in the car (leaving my car door open and sitting sideways in the seat) awaiting the sound of “it’s full” click to clink. As I watched it was rather amusing just watching people. But then it went from amusing to disturbing. I get that these people did not realize they were being watched and certainly would have been on better behavior. I get that people are angry about the prices of gas. But with all these in mind, I don’t get that why should we give off all the negative energy on something (the price) we really have no control over, other than to try to travel less frequently and conserve the gas we do buy. Why all the anger? As I sat there I thought, would these people be so eager to be so grumpy if they realized that someone else was watching? And it brought to my attention that sometimes that is how the eyes of the world watch the “Christians” of the world. Many people feel that the churches are full of hypocrites, and that is their “turn off.” Well, I say maybe there is some truth to that statement with a big “BUT!” The followers of Christ ALL FALL SHORT of the example of their Lord. Christians aren’t perfect – they are just forgiven. Believers are people who have found forgiveness and hope in a sinful world. Those who believe in Christ are on a journey of personal growth that is meant to last a lifetime! Christians themselves battle with selfish desires and their own failure to be what they want to be. One of my favorite quotes is “I am a continual work in progress.” We never know where each person is in their own personal spiritual walk with Christ. That is why we absolutely cannot let the personal failures (big or small) of others or even ourselves ruin our future with God. It was the apostle Paul who wrote: “not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me.”- Phil 3:12. We as Christians are continually growing spiritually and will stumble from time to time. Again, there is no “perfect Christian.” CLICK, and my gas pump quit pumping. I hung up that pump, took my $56 receipt from the “pretty new pump” that pumped soooo very slowly and left with the insight to remind others, “Christians aren’t perfect, just works in progress. But we are making steps towards a great future!” So what about you? Are you sitting on the sidelines or in the stands just “watching others” and using their actions as your excuse to not have an intimate relationship with God? Make good with your feet and begin the steps on the path of your personal growth that is meant to last a lifetime! (( hugs until next time))