Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Beginning 20 Desert Years...

These next blogs I should call my "desert years" with God. They are the years that I never turned to God. I just kept thinking that my importance in life was centered around my career. I made choices that I know that God cried for my sake. I was the child that loved to ride and race motorcycles and cars, always on the edge. I would drag race up and down the streets with my friends. My father always supplied my brother and I with a variety of "toys" to play with that just happen to all have motors on or in them! If it was not for my condition today, I would be instilling in my daughter the variations of speed from motorcycles and cars to boats and snowmobiles. Numerous times over and over I should have been injured more than I ever was. God was with me, even if I was not "with" Him. Looking back, I now stand firm on the verse in "You have been with me from birth and have helped me constantly." Psalms 71:6 and "I cannot count the times when you have faithfully rescued me from danger." Psalms 71:15. The next 20 years of my life I look back now and see that God might have been saying, "she is just not getting the message, with this one we need to really make her wake up!" And glory to God, He did just that! I went through my years of "clubbing and drinking and dancing." I was never one to dabble in drugs because I really like to stay in control, afraid that I might do something embarrassing to myself. I remember my parents always fearful of my drinking because alcoholism runs in the family bloodline. But I did not have the mindset of drinking to be drinking...mine was to drink just enough to be outgoing, rather than shy and timid. I know it just had to be my sweet mom and all her prayers prayed over myself and my brother during our growing years away from home. But I keep going back to, as children we were raised in religion, right from wrong and even if we did grow away from the church, the roots...our foundation was of that of "goodness" even if it was not of "godliness" at that time. It is the foundation of childhood that as we grow older we see how it sometimes assisted us in making our decisions when we get in those "desert years" away from God. I just cannot imagine how I would have turned out if I never had that foundation. (( hugs ))